Pulp and paper mills run continuously between major shutdowns – availability and running time are their benchmarks. In most cases, it is only during these major shutdowns that repair and maintenance of fiber-reinforced polymers (FRP) can be completed. The pulp and paper industry uses equipment made of FRP and other composite materials for the superior corrosion resistance, reliability, strength, low maintenance and low lifetime cost these materials provide.
Pulp and paper mills require corrosion resistant composite materials to help manage bleaching, chemical treatment and closed white water cycles. Fiber-reinforced polymers (FRP) are used for a long list of pulp mill equipment, including; pulp stock lines, vent lines, chemical process piping, effluent pipe, catch basins, ducting, retention towers, multi-stage upflow and downflow towers, washer drums, vats, exhaust hoods, gas ducting and scrubbers, absorption towers, spent acid and dump tanks, process vessels, tail gas scrubbers, multi-stage filtrate tanks, stock and filtrate piping, and stacks.
UTComp serves the pulp and paper industry’s FRP and composite equipment needs from end-to-end with innovative solutions for engineering and repair combined with ongoing inspection and asset management using our patented UltraAnalytix® system. We have an established track record of significantly reducing maintenance costs for FRP in pulp and paper operations.
UTComp is a global leader in composite asset integrity and performance. Our services include:
- Specifications and Design for new FRP construction and updates to existing structures.
- Material Selection and Evaluation of fiberglass reinforced materials used in corrosion and structural applications, includes expert failure analysis.
- Mechanical Integrity Programs using our non-destructive UltraAnalytix® inspection system to determine the fitness for service of in-service assets made from composite materials such as FRP.
- Quality Assurance and Risk Management using our UltraAnalytix® system to inspect new FRP or composite material assets to ensure the equipment or components comply with specifications, are free of manufacturing defects and will meet their intended serviceability.
- Quality Control for Composite Manufacturing using our fully automated in-line QCAnalytix™ quality control system to verify during production that each composite asset complies with specifications and is free of manufacturing defects.
We work with leading pulp and paper companies around the world, including Paper Excellence and The Navigator company.