UTComp serves the mineral processing industry’s FRP and composite equipment needs from end-to-end with innovative engineering and repair solutions, and ongoing inspection and asset management using our patented UltraAnalytix® system.
Challenges faced by the mineral processing industry include personnel safety, remote locations, continuous operation, aggressive chemical reactions, aggressive temperatures, abrasion, long supply lines, and limited local skills capability.
Facility operators need to be sure of the mechanical integrity of all equipment to meet the demands made during normal operation and process upsets. To keep people safe and meet environmental requirements the process must remain contained in piping, duct, vessels and reactors. At the same time, making unnecessary repairs only adds to operating costs and often involves challenges and cost of importing skilled labour.
The UTComp team has extensive experience with evaluating and maintaining FRP assets in remote locations – from the Arctic to the tropics. For on-site inspection, we have an established track record of training local personnel in the skills required to complete inspections of remote FRP assets using our UltraAnalytix® system – and then providing ready support by our team. Non-destructive and non-intrusive testing can completed by these trained local personnel and the data from these inspections can be assessed by our external experts located anywhere in the world. This approach is used to inform management about repairs that are necessary as long as all damage mechanisms at play are understood and monitored.
In both engineering and evaluation, UTComp uses our pioneering knowledge about damage progression to enhance the engineering of FRP – often stretching beyond the prescriptions of standards to provide future benefits. When called upon to assist with installation and repairs, our team has deep experience, by adapting designs to meet the skills and materials available and by coaching and training local workers.
UTComp is a global leader in composite asset integrity and performance. Our services include:
- Specifications and Design for new FRP construction and updates to existing structures.
- Material Selection and Evaluation of fiberglass reinforced materials used in corrosion and structural applications, includes expert failure analysis.
- Mechanical Integrity Programs using our non-destructive UltraAnalytix® inspection system to determine the fitness for service of in-service assets made from composite materials such as FRP.
- Quality Assurance and Risk Management using our UltraAnalytix® system to inspect new FRP or composite material assets to ensure the equipment or components comply with specifications, are free of manufacturing defects and will meet their intended serviceability.
- Quality Control for Composite Manufacturing using our fully automated in-line QCAnalytix™ quality control system to verify during production that each composite asset complies with specifications and is free of manufacturing defects.
We work with some of the largest mineral processing companies in North and South America, Europe, Africa and Asia and other locations around the world, including Vale, Rio Tinto and Glencore.