UltraAnalytix™ is a non-destructive and non-intrusive method for inspecting industrial equipment made of fiber-reinforced plastic (FRP) and other composite materials. UltraAnalytix™ is used for in-service evaluation of FRP equipment and components and also for inspecting new FRP assets to provide owners with assurance that the equipment or components comply with specifications, are free of manufacturing defects and will meet their intended serviceability.
The UltraAnalytix™ system combines ultrasonic data collected in the field, external visual inspection and analysis using a proprietary algorithm.
Data can be collected from an external surface often while tanks or piping are in operation, thereby limiting the need for confined space entry. There is never a need to cut test samples out of the asset, allowing the structural integrity to remain intact and reducing the need for confined space entry.
The UltraAnalytix™ system is based on more than 60 years of scientific research, including work originally conducted by NASA. It is more than conventional ultrasonic thickness testing: innovative post-processing of the raw ultrasonic data using a proprietary algorithm provides repeatable and reproducible results. These results have been validated by UTComp internal research and by independent research at the University of Alabama and York University in Toronto, Ontario. Learn more about UltraAnalytix™ research & validation.
Reduced Aperture Delay (RAD) Line
The UltraAnalytix™ system also allows for the accurate testing of small-diameter FRP pipe with the Reduced Aperture Delay (RAD) Line. The patent-pending RAD Line fastens easily to an existing transducer and improves coupling to allow ultrasonic energy to be applied accurately to FRP with an outside radius of curvature between 50 mm (2 inches) and 300 mm (12 inches).
Other UltraAnalytix™ advantages include:
- FRP of all ages can be evaluated WITHOUT previous information;
- The initial testing can be completed in the manufacturer’s facility, and while the plant is in full production;
- The owner does not have to wait for a shutdown or, worse yet, create a shutdown for the inspection;
- A baseline from manufacturer or installation can be set for ongoing inspections;
- The regular scheduled inspections create a monitoring curve;
- Data can be collected by UTComp-trained personnel: UTComp employee, an end-user employee, manufacturer or a licensee;
- Provides production information for manufacturers to minimize wastage or over production;
- Provides measurement for acceptance criteria;
- Verify the quality and successful achievement of customer requirements;
- Proactive inspection can help avoid failures therefore avoiding costly repairs, clean up and negative public relations.
How UltraAnalytix™ inspection works:
- Transducer must be in contact with surface
- Accurate interpretation in field is not possible
- Operates best at temperatures >50°F or 10°C
- Cannot be used for inspection of structures with foam cores and thick (>3 inch or 7.5 cm) balsa core
- Cannot be used to inspect pipe less than 2 inch or 50 mm outside diameter
- Cannot be used in magnetic fields within 8 ft (2400 mm) of conductor carrying 120,000+ Amps
Questions? Contact us.